Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
lump on my neck
An_242833 posted:
about 11 pm this eveing I notice that I have lump on my neck its a small lump, the lump is located in about in the middle of my neck, is located about three inches above my shoulder.. when i press down on it or move the lump back & forth it hurts. should i be consern about this.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It could be a number of things. It might be a tender sebacous cyst ( block sweat gland), which might go away or get worse and need to be drained. It might be an infected hair follicle. Most lymph nodes aren't tender unless there is an infection. Do you have a sore or infection in your scalp. face or head? If not, you can dry putting warm moist wash cloths on it and see what happens over the next day or two. If it does not get better and go away, then you definitely should go see a doctor. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

An_242833 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
the lump in my neck is hard not soft, it feels like its right next to a vein in my neck when i push hard on it i get a burning feeling. ouch now it hurts when i turn my head, yes i did have a stroke a few months ago.

An_242833 replied to An_242833's response:
yes i do have an crusty whitish yellow color crust on my scalp when i put off the scab it leaves a sticky stuff in my hair i an currenty useing selenium sulfide to wash my hair with.i mite have a zit or two that are infected useing something for that to clear it up.
currenty taking simvastin,325 mg asprin & a b12 .have asthma,arthritis,

Richard C Senelick, MD replied to An_242833's response:
The lump could be a lymph node from the infection. It wouldbe a good idea to get in and see a doctor to decide if you need antibiotics. Head and face skin infections can become dangerous. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

mrstreklady replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
your right on the money dr, it is a lymph node infection im on antibiotics for this now & i have something called folliculitis on my scalp the dr give me a script for a cream to rub on my scalp twice a day.

Richard C Senelick, MD replied to mrstreklady's response:
Every so often, we get it right. Glad you are headed in the right direction.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.