Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Getting Help/ when signs of stroke
NJLeto posted:
I had a stroke June 28th 2011 At 23yrs old, I'm an active triathalete and always on the go. But have always had a history of migranes, a week prior to this day I had been having a horrible headache/migrane but on the 28th I woke up with a Migrane unlike any other. I felt some tingling in my left side almost like a numbness but however I thought it was due from the way I was sleeping or a possible pinched nerve in my neck from camping the week before. I decided to drive to the chiropractor where after an adjustment my symptoms seemed to get worse. I started to feel more numb in my left arm and now in my left leg. I work as a unit clerk/cna at a Hospital and needed to work due to the fact I recently just Graduated w/ my B.S. in Psychology and was going to start Nursing school in the fall. I decided my symptoms were just angonized from my head pain and went to lie down before work.
I worked from 2;30pm until 7pm where the pain and the numbness was unbarable and had to go to our ER and during that 6hr visit I was only give a CT scan due to the MRI machine being a mobile one and no one could run it at the time, CT scan showed no Stroke signs, at this time I could barly walk, think, but could speak.
I was discharged and went home w/ my mother and slept for 12 hours and on that next day I tried to follow up w/ my Neurologist and he wasn't avaible until the next day and they didn't seem concerned but I should of gone in. 6/30 I was seen at a clinic near my home, where my Neurologist comes 1x a month and he automaticly had me directly admited to the Larger hospital 30min South.
It wasn't until 4hrs later It was confirmed I had 2 Strokes CVA's one in my PONs and Cerebellum. For being so young I was in shock as well as my Dr., they had blood work sent out for further analysis and decided to have a TEE done to determine if my heart was a factor in the Stroke.
I found out on 7/1/11 that I had a condition called PFO or Patent Forman Ovuel which allows blood to pass through the left ventricle and right, where there is a hole, in my case there were multiple holes.
I was in the hospital until 7/7/2011
I had to use a cane for 11 weeks to learn to walk again with the help of PT and OT and so thankful everyday!
I also had Surgery on 9/23/11 for the PFO w/ catherization for the heart, which they placed an Occluder device by Amplatzer corporation.
I'm so greatful everyday for life and blessed that I'm here today, This May I'm planning a Stroke Awereness Benefit for the Stroke Association Foundation and all proceedees with go directly to them.
I just hope that no one ever experiences this and Go to the ER when you feel that NUMBNESS and DONT WAIT ....
TIME IS IMPORTANT FACTOR FOR STROKES!!!!!!!!!

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Well said and an important message. I hope you continue to do well and appreciate your efforts toward stroke prevention. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.