Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
life expectancy
An_244156 posted:
Hello. My Mom has had a series of mini strokes over the last year. She is 83 and is now at the point of needing a wheelchair. What can I do for her and what is the life expectancy at this point?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
We can speak in general terms. If we look at the U.S. Life Expectancy tables, an 83 year old woman has an average life expectancy of 7.5 more years. Now, some people live less and some live longer. The key to giving you a more accurate picture, the person doing the calculation would need to know what other health issues your mother has. People with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease have shorter life expectancies as do people who have had a stroke. This is a discussion that is best had with your Mom's physician who will have all the details about her health. Insurance companies make these calculations all thetime when they are given all of the information.

The most important think right now is go over the risk factors that caused the stroke and ask her doctor what she can do to try and prevent another stroke.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.