Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Repeating UTI's-Help
Debtn posted:
My mom had a stroke May 2011. Finally got her blood sugars under control & her thyroid in sync. Now she has UTI's all the time. I am trying to start PT with her but everytime she gets going & feels great, she gets another UTI & it messes up everything. Was hopeful to have her up walking by now. Anyway to prevent these from re occuring? I have tried nightly cranberry juice, lots of water, vitamins, minerals, etc.
She is on cipro again. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Recurrent urinary tract infections can be a problem for many women as they get older whether or not they have had a stroke. It is important that she be evaluated by a urologist to see if there is some mechanical reason that she has recurrent urinary tract infections. In women the environment of the vagina and urinary tract can change with age, making the person more susceptible to urinary tract infections. Some urologist suggests the use of probiotics or estrogen cream to make for a more healthy vaginal environment. This problem can usually be addressed by either a gynecologist or urologist. I hope you found this helpful. Good luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.