Skip to content
Dad's Stroke and Our Road to Recovery
Brinsy06 posted:
Hi all-I'm new to this site and community, but I'm hoping to gain some inspiration and hope back after all my family and I have been through in the last 4 months. My father had a stroke on November 14th, 2011. His recovery was coming along nicely until we brought him home, unable to walk and barely able to transfer himself. We had to bring him home because the insurance company said our time was up. Since then, he has regressed a lot! He either caught a viral infection from the nursing home we was in or had another minor stroke. Whatever it was has left him back to where we were 2 months ago. Now, he is being transported to another new facility (for the 4th time) due to insurance/Medicare reasons. He likely won't get enough good therapy to recover in the 30 days he is allotted. Now we're worried about what to do when the time comes to bring him home again. My mom works full time and dad cannot physically help himself do anything. They certainly cannot afford to pay out of pocket for any type of help. Any suggestions on what to do with my father until he can help himself? Anyone been through this before? Thank you so very much!
cchornomud responded:
think you should call your insurance company. Appeal there crappy decisions. Get a copy of your dad's insurance policy and be an advocate for your dad! Insurance companies only care about profit I really wish you the best of luck. Make sure you look for programs you can do with him at home, there must be some out there. I'm at the very beginnning of the process. How old is your dad? If he's over 65 he qualifies for medicare. If he lives in california, he probably qualifies for medi-cal too. There HAS to be low cost nursing homes/rehabilitation facilities he can stay in

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.