Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Dad's Stroke and Our Road to Recovery
    Brinsy06 posted:
    Hi all-I'm new to this site and community, but I'm hoping to gain some inspiration and hope back after all my family and I have been through in the last 4 months. My father had a stroke on November 14th, 2011. His recovery was coming along nicely until we brought him home, unable to walk and barely able to transfer himself. We had to bring him home because the insurance company said our time was up. Since then, he has regressed a lot! He either caught a viral infection from the nursing home we was in or had another minor stroke. Whatever it was has left him back to where we were 2 months ago. Now, he is being transported to another new facility (for the 4th time) due to insurance/Medicare reasons. He likely won't get enough good therapy to recover in the 30 days he is allotted. Now we're worried about what to do when the time comes to bring him home again. My mom works full time and dad cannot physically help himself do anything. They certainly cannot afford to pay out of pocket for any type of help. Any suggestions on what to do with my father until he can help himself? Anyone been through this before? Thank you so very much!
    cchornomud responded:
    think you should call your insurance company. Appeal there crappy decisions. Get a copy of your dad's insurance policy and be an advocate for your dad! Insurance companies only care about profit I really wish you the best of luck. Make sure you look for programs you can do with him at home, there must be some out there. I'm at the very beginnning of the process. How old is your dad? If he's over 65 he qualifies for medicare. If he lives in california, he probably qualifies for medi-cal too. There HAS to be low cost nursing homes/rehabilitation facilities he can stay in

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.