Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Strange Chills
dandtnor posted:
My Mom had a hemorrhagic stroke on June 28, 2011. She has developed strange chills that come on out of the blue. You can literally see goose bumps on her arms. She will usually have several days of this and it will pass until they decide to begin again. After this she is usually very fatigued. Its like we take 3 steps forward and then 2 back when these hit. Her doctor has put her on an antidepressant, but just wandering if there is anything else to consider. I read in another thread where it could possibly be a B-12 deficiency. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I really am not sure what is causing your mother's chills. Over the years, I place episodes like this in a category that I call "life's unexplained events". Many things happen in medicine for which we do not have a good explanation. I am assuming that they have checked all of the simple things like low thyroid, anemia or an infection. These are unusual symptoms and I suspect there's not going to be easy answer. I would just make certain that the basic things I mentioned above have been covered. I'm sorry I cannot be more help. Good luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.