Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Full Left Side Paralysis Question
Brinsy06 posted:
Hi there-my father suffered a stroke about 5 months ago. He still has almost full left side paralysis (no movement in the arm, limited ability in the leg). Therefore, he can do nothing for himself. He'll be coming home in about 30 days and I'm extremely worried about how he will manage on his own. My mother works full time still and is unable to physically lift my dad. This can't possibly be right, can it? That the insurance company can send someone home without being physically able to fend for themselves or have anyone to do it for them? Any suggestions would be a comfort. Thank you.
Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear about your father's stroke. It is unclear where your father is right now.

Insurance coverage usually lasts until a point where patient no longer needs intensive therapy and can be managed in a less intense setting. If you had help at home, would probably welcome the fact that your father returning home and would continue with outpatient therapy. The difficulty is in finding someone stay with your father why your mother works. My experience has been that it is best to hire someone to stay with your father rather than to use an agency. An agency is much more expensive and doesn't mean that you will get more qualified person. It helps to ask around your community see people know someone takes care of people with disabilities. Local churches, community organizations, adult day care centers and independent living centers can all be a good resource. Likewise, there are people called independent case managers can help find attendant care and people to stay with your father while your mother is at work. If you cannot find these people on the Internet or in the telephone book, contact the local chapter of a stroke support group in your area. Local support groups will put you in touch with people who have faced the same type of problems you are facing today.

Your father is in a facility, they should have a case manager and point you in the direction of the above named resources. Unfortunately, most insurance does not pay for this type of resources, but he may qualify for a variety of government, veterans or community resources.

I hope this is helpful and good luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.