Skip to content
Post-Stroke Recovery...keeps getting worse.
An_244606 posted:
My 74yo dad had a stroke last Tuesday. I arrived at the hospital Thursday afternoon and over the next few hours, I noticed an improvement in his speech. On Friday, he was able to eat thickened fluids and pureed food with little incident (choking). He was also able to hold himself up with a walker, but not very long. That night, they released him to the rehab part of the hospital, since he was doing well. On Saturday, I watched him act the same way...eating well, talking, joking around, etc. On Sunday morning, I watched him eat his breakfast and once again, his mind was really sharp (and has been to this day). Sunday night I get there, and he was really worn out and could barely speak at all. I just assumed it was fatigue since he had been up all day. Monday morning, I get there and he can speak for the most the part, and I watched him eat his breakfast without incident. I get there Monday night after therapy, and he cannot speak again. Monday morning was the last time he was able to speak.

He can speak BUT it's hard for him and its hard to understand on our end. He is also not able to eat anything without choking, so now they are putting a feeding tube in today.

He was given Indocin starting Sunday for his gout, but he has not had any since Wed night. He has also been on his blood pressure medicine, Pravastatin for his cholesterol, aspirin, and that is about it.

They performed a CT scan and did not see any changes like a bleed, etc. The staff there says that this is just part of the stroke and rehab is the best option. I keep asking..why does he keep getting worse than he was 5 days after the stroke. Something doesn't sound right.

Any suggestions? ideas? advice? I really don't know what to do. His mind is all there, he knows exactly what is going on, and he doesn't understand why this is happening either. Like I said, he was fine all the way up to Sunday afternoon.

pianoandvoiceteacher responded:
I also lost the ability to eat. Mine didn't take as long as your dad's did, but it happened. I brought a banana to the emergency room because I knew I had a stroke. I ate the banana and 10 min later, was unable to swallow water. I refused the nasal feeding tube because I have breathing problems and I didn't want it to impair my limited ability to breathe. So they eventually (10 day mark, i.e. 10 days without food) put in a peg tube. They thought I would give in if I was hungry enough and submit to the nasal feeding tube. My desire to breathe was greater than my desire to eat! I had the peg tube in for four months and was very happy to have it in. I worked really hard on my vocal/eating exercises. Ironically, they are basically the same as the ones I use when I teach voice. However, 8 months post stroke, my walking ability has gotten worse, despite therapy. But everyone is different and reacts differently. There are many types of strokes and it can take place at so many different areas of the brain, thus why they are so different from patient to patient. Its hard to keep good spirits some days. Its easier when my family helps me. Stay positive for him, as it will help. I hope your father gets well soon.

tobyd0g1 replied to pianoandvoiceteacher's response:
Thank you for responding and sharing your experience. It was nice to hear from someone going through the same thing he is.

They are releasing him from the hospital on Monday. Since my last post, they have put in the peg tube, and he seems to have his good days and bad days. The therapists say one day he can walk 150ft with the walker, others, he just doesn't want to do anything. I think he is just ready to get home. His speech is getting better....he doesn't really speak a whole lot, but when he does, you can understand him 95% of the time.

Thanks again, I will keep you in my prayers.

itmatsb replied to tobyd0g1's response:
Sometimes disabilites from a stroke can even show up years later, e.g. leg cramping. In my case, 3 years later I lost my voice for the most part and I do some training for my work. I couldn't believe it when the doctor who had just scoped my vocal chords, said that it was from my stroke! I asked him if he saw many other cases of people having this problem years after a stroke and he said Yes. He did suggest speech therapy.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.