Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
sexual preoccupation post stroke
ForLouis posted:
My 85 year old father had a small stroke last year. He is a somewhat changed man but manages now to live on his own. But in recent months he has been very preoccupied with sex. He bought a few "instructional" sex DVDs, then he drove hundreds of miles to ask a woman whom he previously didn't like to have sex with him. Thankfully she turned him down. My question: I have been told that this type of new behavior may be due to frontal lobe damage. Does this sound correct?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Behavioral changes are common after damage to the frontal lobes. This can be from a stroke, brain injury or dementia. If your father had a small stroke, I would not assume that his preoccupation with sex is a result of the "small" stroke. If he is having multiple small strokes he may be developing a multi-infarct dementia with behavioral changes. This would need attention and possibily a change in medication.

If he does not feel there is a problem, it may be difficult to get him to go to a doctor. He should be evaluated for dementia or multiple strokes. Sexual inappropriateness is a difficult problem to deal with at any age. We see it commonly in sverely brain injured young people and is always a problem for the entire family.

If his doctor is uncomfortable dealing with the problem, ask the doctor for a referral to someone who is comfortable. If you father is resistant to going to the doctor, call the doctor and ask them to call your father in for a "routine" follow-up and hopefully they can order thje necessary tests.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.