Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stroke victim
LWilliamisGreat posted:
My wife suffered a stroke January 31, 2012. She was in rehab for 3 weeks got out February 28. She is very depressed and she has hardly ate anything. She tells she does not have a appetite Right now she is in a mental unit at our local hospital. Physically she has recovered well Mentally not She ndoe have bi polar. What .can i do or the doctors do to get her appetite back and get het back mentally.

Thanking you in advance.
Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Depression is a common problem after a stroke. It can occur in as many as 50% of all stroke patients and is more common after a stroke that involves the left side of the brain. The depression can be the result of changes in the chemicals in the brain or can be a reaction to the patient's new disability. It is not uncommon for the depression to be delayed and occur when the person sees their progress beginning to slow.

If your wife was bipolar before the stroke that she would be at a higher risk to have problems after the stroke. It sounds like she is in the correct location, being admitted to a psychiatric unit. Hopefully, the adjustment in her psychiatric medication will start to work in the near future and you will see progress in both her mood and appetite.

It sounds like you are doing all of the correct things and she is getting the psychiatric care that she needs.

Good luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.