Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it a Stroke?
Lisaminicooper posted:
I am a 44 year old female witha history of severe migraines 6 months ago I had what has every symptom of a stroke. I have left side weakness, confussion, slurred speach, I can not move my eyes I have to move my head and I can not walk in a straight line. It took me 4 months to read and write. after countless CT's and MRI's of my brain the Dr's say no stroke is showing my vitamin D was very low but after 3 months of super vitamin D treatment my levels are great.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It would be wrong to try and make a diagnosis from the limited information you are able to supply. Therefore, I will only speak in general terms. Not all strokes are visible on an MRI scan. It is not clear to me whether your Dr. felt you had a stroke or whether your symptoms are caused by some other problem.

People with migraine headaches are at a somewhat increased risk of stroke. This risk increases significantly in people who smoke or take birth control pills and have hypertension. There is also something called complicated migraine. These patients can have stroke-like symptoms associated with severe headaches. However, stroke-like symptoms do not usually persist.

I would not think that the vitamin D level has anything to do with your symptoms. Your situation sounds complicated and if you are not fully confident with the diagnosis supplied by your doctor, it is always good to get a second opinion.

I wish I could've been more help, but there are many things we cannot do over the Internet.

Good luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.