Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
my dad had a stroke a week ago...
cchornomud posted:
Hello,

My dad had a massive stroke on the left side about a week ago. His right side is paralyzed, but he is already regaining movement and they are positive he will recover his ability to walk and use his right side. We thought he might die. Thank goodness he did not. But he has severe comprehension problems. He's still very confused, combative, and at times even on the violent side. It's not always clear to me if he remembers me or anyone in my family for that matter. He said very clearly to me, "I love you" after I said it to him one day. They were calling it expressive aphasia. He will occasionally speak very clear full sentences. For example, today he said, "Barbara what the F*** are you doing?" (that's my mom) Occasionally he seems like he understands what we are saying to him. He rarely follows commands. The doctor told me that he has severe doubts that he will get much better than where he is now. Anyways my questions were, are there specific exercises that I can do to help him? Is there any hope for my dad? It is so hard to see him like this! I don't want him to give up! I would love to hear from people with similar experiences and the aftermath. I am remaining hopeful!

cchornomud responded:
oh and my dad is 65

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Thank you for joining our community and being such an active participant. It seems to me that is far too early to predict how well your father is going to do. Patients with language problems frequently use expletives and this usually improves with time. Aphasia can take a long time to improve and can also require extensive speech therapy and rehabilitation.

Is very important that he received comprehensive rehabilitation at an inpatient rehabilitation facility. I have written a series of blogs on WebMD at the A Different Normal blog. These blogs will give you instructions on how to pick a rehabilitation facility the questions should be asking. Getting your father the best rehabilitation facility in your area will be very important to his recovery.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I wanted to welcome you to the community and give you my support. This must be a difficult time for you and your family - please continue to update us and ask other questions that might come up.

Best to you -

Haylen

cchornomud responded:
I really appreciate all of the feedback. He is still really confused and combative. It's been nearly 3 weeks. His comprehension level is still pretty low. But he seems to recognize us. He was at a rehab and they sent him back to the hospital because they "couldn't handle him". He kept trying to get out of bed and he was trying to punch the nurses I guess.

abba5 replied to cchornomud's response:
How is he doing now, after 5 months? My husband sounds the same as your father and he is also 65. His stroke was June 30th. He has been to a geri-psych place 2 times now for 2 wks. each time and they say that they can do no more for him or keep him with his Medicare. He is now in a nursing home that is also a rehab center but keeps obsessing about leaving, won't shower, hostile over the food, etc., etc. I am worried they will kick him out for being combative and send him home for lack of ??? How is your father doing, since he is farther along than my husband? My husband's was also on the left side..has similar speech issues with occasional breakthrough of normal sounding voice, makes more sense now than a month ago. But I am worried about keeping him safe after release.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Getting Support and TipsExpert
Many times the most valuable source of information is from other people who have had to "walk in your shoes." They have had to live with ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.