Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
reoccuring stroke symptoms
An_244948 posted:
My husband had several small strokes about a year ago. Reciently, he had all the symptoms of a stroke but after all the test were in they didn't find any new stroke sites. The tests were performed at a top rated teaching neuro hospital in Philadelphia where his original stroke care was given.
I was told that once you have had a stroke, if you get sick, have an infection, or flu that the stroke symptoms can represent themselves.
Can anyone verify that this is true?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I may have more questions for you then I will have answers. Not all strokes will show up on a brain scan. Did your husband's doctors believe that he had a TIA or new small stroke that did not show off his brain scan? It sounds like he was evaluated in a very good hospital. Did they feel the need to change any of his medicines prevent another stroke?

In answer to the second part of your question, any illness can worsen or bring back stroke. I have seen many patients become confused or whose old stroke symptoms worsen when they get an infection like pneumonia or a urinary tract infection. Likewise, fatigue or alcohol can worsen pre-existing symptoms. However, people who have not had stroke, you do not expect to see stroke-like symptoms with an infection.

I am assuming that your husband is back to baseline and taking medications to prevent another stroke. The most important thing he can do is to work on the risk factors that he can control.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.