Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
undetected stroke
szb10 posted:
My sister was taken to er for dizziness and faint like symptoms. She was admitted because of erratic blood pressure - tests showed she had a stroke in the back of her brain at least 3 months ago. I have seen nothing written about "undetected stroke" and treatment plan.
Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Your sister's situation is not unusual. Many people have what we call "silent strokes." A tiny blood vessel closes off and leaves a scar in the brain that we can see on a brain scan. This is most common in people with high blood pressure, which is the major risk factor in causing strokes. The good news is that your sister has not had a stroke that has left her with any physical problems. However, multiple silent strokes can cause problems with thinking and memory.

It is imperative that your sister work to modify her risk factors. Good control of her blood pressure will be the first thing, along with a healthy diet, exercise and control of high lipids or blood sugar. She should ask her doctor if she is a candidate to take aspirin daily or one of the other medications to prevent recurrent strokes.

There is a good deal of information available on silent strokes and all you have to do is enter those words into your search engine. The WebMD Stroke Center has a great deal of information on stroke prevention.

Here is a link of silent strokes:

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.