Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stroke
iamagrandmatwotimes posted:
In 2006 I had a stroke and it hit in my eyes,,I am doing alright in that right now but it affected my short term memory,,,also I am finding out that if someone tries to tell me directions on the phone or in person I find it hard to comprehend sometimes like it is too much for me to try to remember all at one time, and sometimes when I wake up in the mornings I feel "jittery" inside and sometimes I feel edgy.Also I was put on a low dose aspirin a day for my stroke..and I have noticed that my hands and feet stay extremely cold in the summer as well as the winter months ,even with my hot flashes when I am sweating my hands and feet are cold..so much so whenever I shake hands with someone at church they make a comment about how cold my hands are,,but myself I dont feel cold...is this "normal"? Thank you for your time and kindness,,take care God bless you and your loved ones

iamagrandmatwotimes responded:
I forgot to mention also that I wanted to take a soy supplement for hot flashes but was told by doctors in Memphis that this was a big no no as it has estrogen properties or something similar to that affect. And too that it was a big no no as that I had had a stroke..any truth to this...

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
After someone has had a stroke it is common to try and relate anything that they feel back to the stroke. Your symptoms of cold hands and feeling jittery in the morning are very common complaints in people who have not had a stroke. My experience is that cold hands are usually not asssociated with anything bad. The jittery feeling can just be "you" or related to low sugar or needing more caffeine in the morning, if you are a coffee drinker.. The best bet is to stop all caffeine- of any kind. I don't know anything about soy supplements, so I will not comment.

Your best is to mention these symptoms to your primary care doctor. If he or she is not concerned, there may not be a whole lot to do.

I wish I could have been more help.
Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.