Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Recurring Stroke Symptoms
don103 posted:
My daugher had a stroke 7 years ago and has been fine up until yesterday when she experienced numbness on her right arm, leg and face. Doctor says it is an irritation in the area where the stroke was. They have done MRI, CT and CTA scans, and eeg, with no sign of a stroke. Does an erritation sound like a reasonable diagnosis?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I must admit that I am not familiar with the concept of "irritation." How old is your daughter? Are her symptoms in the same location as her first stroke? Did they ever determine why she had the first stroke, 7 years ago? Did the doctors place her on any medication to prevent another stroke, like aspirin or Plavix?

I am asking more questions than I am answering because only someone with all of the information can give you the answers you need. If you do feel you received the answers you need then a second opinion is always a good place to start. It sounds like they did theusual tests, but did they also do tests to look at her heart ( Echocardiogram or TEE) and did they do special blood tests to rule out diseases that can make the blood more likely to clot?

I would make sure that all the necessary tests have been done before you accept that she had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) and nothing more can be done. If you decide to get a second opinion, be sure you have copies of all of her test results before the visit.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

don103 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Thanks for info. She was 19 with the first stroke from a carotid artery. Corrected by surgery, rerouting the external to replace the damaged internal carotid artery. A neurosurgen did an angiogram 3 days ago and felt everything looked fine but suggested a blood flow scan which the neurology team declined to do. About 6 months after the surgery she stopped taking the baby aspirin that was proscribed. Neurologists told her to start taking the aspirin again and discharged her with a follow up in 3 months.
Original symtoms numb right side,some loss of strength,aphasia. This time just numbness.

The hospital that did the original work is an hour and a half away and all doctors are still there. To my knowledge the new team never contacted any of them. I don't know if I am expecting too much.

Is it normal to come away from this with no definitive diagnosis? Should we request a second opinion, or perhaps schedule a followup with her original doctors who we were very pleased with?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.