Skip to content
Numbness in my left bicep? Help?
Nik_ki389 posted:
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this or not, but I'm a little frightened and whenever I tell my mom, she thinks I'm just being paranoid.

I'm a 21 years old female who is slightly over weight. I don't really get a lot of exercise, and mostly spend my time surfing the internet.

In recent weeks, I've noticed a few times that my left arm would go numb at random. It's mostly only when I wake up in the morning, and I write it off as having laid on it the wrong way. However, tonight it feels numb-ish, like it could be swollen or inflammed. I also get pains in it every so often, but not usually when it goes numb. I do sit awkwardly at the computer, so I thought it might also be a pinched nerve but after reading some things online (probably not the best idea, honestly), I'm starting to worry.

I was just at the ER a couple of weeks ago for leg pains and I have been having chest pains for a few years now. They checked me out; blood tests, EKG, cat-scan, X-ray, and a DVT of my legs, and found nothing. They were originally searching for clots, and while my blood di come back abnormal for clotting, the doctor said it didn't look to be anything because it was only a little abnormal. However, at that time, I did not think about the numbness in my left arm, because at that time, it had only really occurred when I had woken up, and was not a factor that day.

I'm scared, and I just want to know if I should go back to the ER? I don't know if it's an early sign of a stroke seeing how I was just in the hospital and my EKG and everything came back normal, (and I had been experience numbness upon waking up before then), or if it's just a pinched nerve for the way I usually sit at my computer?

Nik_ki389 responded:
  • Cat-scan or MRI... of my chest. I think it was an MRI. I'm so freaked out right now, I can't remember which one is which.
  •  
    Nik_ki389 responded:
    Irregular heart beat also runs on my dad's side of the family, and my heart does sometimes beat out of rhythm, I guess it's considered a palpitation because it's like a flutter? However, despite that, my EKG still comes back normal and the X-Rays show nothing. (This may or may not be relative to my left arm? )

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
    Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.