Skip to content
50 year old female stroke survivor
DONNA6661 posted:
Hi!

I am not quite as young as you, 50 years old, but feel connected to you as I have a similar story. While on vacation in Punta Cana, I too suffered a stroke (CVA). I was at a show with my girlfriend, I went to clap at the end of a song and only one hand went up into the air. I realized that my left hand was not responding. It took me by total surprise. I had no other symptoms at all. My girlfriend took me to the Dr. at the resort who basically scoffed at me because I had no other symptoms. He took my blood pressure, which was normal, told me I did not have a stroke and sent me on my way. I was able to move my left arm a bit more in the morning but had no strength in it at all. I was told by everyone that it was improbable that I had a stroke due to my age. I flew home three days later and went to the hospital in New Jersey. Had a CAT scan which was inconclusive, they kept me there overnight, had an MRI the next day which showed the stroke. After more tests they found the stroke had been caused by a blocked carotid artery on the right side of my next. I had immediate surgery to clear that on February 14th 2012. My arm is almost back to normal. When I am tired it becomes very sluggish and heavy feeling. Most of what I can find out there is about older people who have suffered much more damage. I am happy to be alive and am acknowledge how far in my recovery I have gone. But would like to chat with you. Hope you are feeling better every day.

squiddy responded:
Hi Donna 6661 I also had a stroke when on holiday in Cuba i am 56 was 54 at the time, they missed the stroke which was in the cerebellum they were treating me for hypertension .Three days later a nurse from England told my husband to tell the doctors to scan the back of my head which they did and all hell broke loose when they found it ,I was air lifted to Miami Jackson memorial hospital where I stayed for two weeks before flying back to England I have made a good recovery with a few issues how about you ?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.