Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How can I help my friends to recover after stroke?!
Bogdana posted:
My friend had 2 strokes one after another due to birth control 2 years ago. It took her 3 months to learn how to walk. Right now she is walking again (limping because left side of her body is not functioning very well). However, she is not able to use her left hand. Also, she is having huge issues with balance. As far as I know, right now she is going through rehab.I would love to help her with recovery! Her husband is working all the time and she is staying by herself all day long. The new meds that she was prescribed to aren't helping so much. They causing her disorientation and even bigger problem with keeping her balance. It could be very dangerous for her to stay in the house by herself. Her house is located in the woods, and if she hurts herself, it could be a while before anyone notices something. I was wondering, does anybody know if there is anything I can do? I heard that social workers could help a lot...Maybe there is some kind of option that somebody could visit her daily?!

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
The services available depend a good deal on where you live and your insurance or lack of insurance. If she is receiving rehabilitation from a home health agency, they may be able to supply a home health aide to visit her on a daily baisis. Usually there has to be a medical need. A social worker can usually tell you what services are available in your area. Your friend or her husband can call the hospital that took care of her and ask to speak to the social worker. They should be able to guide them as to what resources are available in the area.

Another valuable resource will be any local stroke support group. They can go to the American Stroke Association website and look for support groups in their area. People who are undergoing the same problem are usually the best resource as to what is avilable in their area. Finally, local churches and community organizations frequently have outreach groups that can visit people in need of services.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.