Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
suxual activity after a stroke
24Honeybee posted:
My boyfriend had 3 TIA strokes caused by a carotid dissection on the left side, with a 60% blockage, as the result of a motorcycle accident 7 weeks ago. The strokes went undetected for approximately 10 days due to other injuries from the accident. He has come far in his recovery, showing few signs of the strokes. His right eye is still a bit "bulging", and he has weakness in his right arm and leg, but is able to use them for all tasks. He is in physical therapy and is responding well to it. He wakes up with headaches that ease as the day progresses. He is on coumadin, and was taking Lovomax injections twice daily up until 4 days ago. He lost his spleen, so his platelet count was up around 2 million, but has come down to 830,000 as of last Monday. His INR is at 1.9 as of last Monday. Here is my question: He is starting to feel the desire for intercourse. (Hooray!) But, is it safe? What do we need to worry about regarding the heightened level of excitement and the blockage in his carotid artery?
Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
The obvious answer is that you need to get the "go ahead" from your doctor who knows all of the medical issues. As a rule people can return to sexual activities that may need some modification based on physical disabilities. If your partner has any difficulty maintaining an erection or with ejaculation, check with his doctor to see if any of his medications are causing the problem. Many of medications can cause problems.

It should be safe, but go slow and check with your doctor. The American Stroke Association has a brochure on Sexual Intimacy after stroke and there are other resources online .

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.