Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stroke related to craniotomy..
CherylsDaughter posted:
Hi all, I'm new to this page seeking answers for my mother.

She was diagnosed w/ a large grapefruit size meningioma brain tumor on 4/14 of this year. 5/21 it was removed during a 15 hour brain surgery.

After surgery she had left side paralysis and they did see she had a small stroke. She was healing well and a week later the same area of stroke got larger (I guess she didn't have a second stroke.. not sure the terminology) At this time the neurosurgeon told us they believed she would still be able to make a full recovery, maybe w/ some issues of her left/affected side.

After 2 weeks she left the hospital and is at a rehab facility. I believe it is sub-acute (I'm in TX and she is in MI so I'm not there every day) This past Wednesday my family had a "family meeting" with her social worker, nurses, therapists, etc.

We were given devastating news that she would require 24 hour care for the rest of her life and she would never able to walk again.

This has us reeling because 2 weeks before that she was told she would make a full recovery and nothing has happened since this time. I have a hard time believing her therapists can make these predictions after only spending 2 weeks with her?

My dad is older and in bad healthy (COPD, congestive heart failure, etc) so he is unable to help her at home, which I think is part of the reason why they are saying 24-hour care.

They also said whatever part of the brain it affected gave her cognitive defecits as far as safety (like would she know to call 911 if there was a fire in the house)

I'm so confused. I don't know where to start and I don't want to believe that she will never recover from this.. I mean, it's only been ONE MONTH! since a major brain surgery..

Can anyone give me some insight? Has anyone been given this prognosis and beat the odds?

She has the following "issues".. no bladder/bowel control, some confusion, left side paralysis. blind in right eye. limited vision in left eye.

She is able to talk/conversate well, has great memory, etc. She is only 63 years old and thinking she will be in a nursing home for the rest of her life is unfathomable.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.