Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
22 year old stroke victim WHAT NOW?
ryguy333 posted:
I am 22 years old and suffered 4 small strokes after a horrible car accident. My vertebral artery was effected greatly from the strokes. Luckily I don't have much long term damage and was told I could be 100 % after a year.

I need to know what the effects are of living the lifestyle i lived before the car accident are.
This lifestyle included
-Drinking 6-12 beers on Fridays and Saturdays
-Occasional Cigarette/Cigar Smoking
-Regularly smoking Marijuana
-Prescription to Adderol
-College student
-Regular Exercise

If i continue to live any aspects of this previous lifestyle am i putting myself in great risk for another stroke?? If so which ones in particular?

I just want to be able to live my old college life again but don't want to risk my life for it

Take the Poll

If i continue to live any aspects of this previous lifestyle am i putting myself at greater risk for another stroke?? If so which ones in particular?
  • Choice 1
  • Choice 2
vote
View Poll Results

itmatsb responded:
You sound like an intelligent man who has worthy goals. Did your doctor tell you that you were at an increased risk of having another stroke? It would be worth asking. When you say that you had 4 small strokes, which are also called TIAs, then your risk for another stroke within 5 years is 33%, .

When I questioned my neurologist about my stroke risk, she told me that high blood pressure and smoking were the 2 biggest risks. While I don't believe that there are any studies about marijuana, the effects on the body far surpass those of cigarette smoking. So I would think that the regular marijuana smoking would be a problem. Regular exercise is a plus to avoid strokes.

And if you are interested in your overall health, it would be a good for you to realize that "Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke." "Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug." " A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses." So it would be a really good idea for you to quit, but I'm sure that's no easy task since you are most likely addicted to it.

It's your choice. At your age, most young men feel that nothing will ever harm them, but they eventually find out the hard way. I do wish you the best.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.