Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
parchial numbness
An_242833 posted:
Dr.
is it normal for some one who had a mini stroke to be experceing numbness. from the left elbow down to the fingertips & numbness from the left knee to the toes in the foot. some times my hand go's totaly numb for a few hours, so does the foot.....

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It is not unusual to have numbness that comes and goes after a stroke. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do about it, but it usually is more of a nuisance than a disability.

Do you have Diabetes which can cause a peripheral neuropathy and numbness in the arms and legs?

The most important thing is to be certain that someone has lppked at all your risk factors and that you are doing everything possible to prevent another stroke. Please my "post" at the top of the Community.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

mrstreklady replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Dr.
thanks for the info it helps alot..I, was checked for Diabetes & my sugar levels are normal, i take my meds every day try to eat right get enought sleep,have to go see my nuraoligest again soon.I read that 1 in 3 people have a chance to have a worse stroke after having a T.I.A is this true?.

Richard C Senelick, MD replied to mrstreklady's response:
If you do not take precautions the risk is about 12% the first year. As I noted in my first answer, it is critical that you be placed on medications to prevent another TIA or stroke. It may be as simple as an aspirin every day.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

mrstreklady replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
DR.
ever sence i had my stroke T.I.A July 21st 2011 my left leg has been swolen..
the DR. said when i was in the hospital that it would go down.well it has not done so it been almost a year its still swolen. is this a consern?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.