Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Elderly Stroke
suppt posted:
Mom, 87, had a left side stroke 8 days ago. 3 CVAs, tPA in 2.5 hrs from attack. She has a swallow test in 2 days. Awaken/swallow timeline? We go to hospital, but very little progress. 2 days ago a rehab Dr. rubbed a metal shoe horn device under her soles, responsive. She licked her lip to generate moisture at one point. Tongue is scaly, flaky. Has gained 3 kg in week, now 87 pounds.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear that your mother had a stroke, but I cannot tell if you have a specific question that you would like us to answer. Please let us know.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

suppt replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Sorry. I have two. Stroke was now 14 days ago. When will she awaken? The speech pathologist I spoke with yesterday said she has rejected swab and ice nudges when she investigated her swallowing ability. We were recommended to get her PEG, but are holding off, due to W. Plank's damning "To PEG or Not To PEG" 2006 article. Should we PEG?

suppt replied to suppt's response:
Okay, she awakened. The deep sleep days seem over with. Doc I've been avoiding somehow nailed me at elevator bank today to ask if we made PEG decision. I said no, he asked when will you decide. Friday. (fully intending to resume stonewalling) PEG seems hardly worth doing. What is your highly informed opinion? Needless to say, I am a nervous wreck.

suppt replied to suppt's response:
Hi Doctor. So Mom had PEG Aug 1. Still sleepy much of the time. Should I do range of motion exercises with her? Arms and maybe legs? A friend whose mom also stroked this summer said you have to keep her moving.

suppt replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Hi Doctor. Mom had PEG Aug 1. Still sleepy much of time. Should I do range of motion exercises with her? Arms and maybe legs? A friend whose mom stroked this summer said you have to keep her moving.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.