Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Worried after TIA
An_246995 posted:
I was just released after spending 7 days hospital. They determined after MRI that I had 6 small emboli in the right side of brain, which would explain the left side being affected during the episodes I had. The problem is they were unable to identify the cause of the emboli. I have had bouts of hypertension but while in hospital my blood would bottom out if I took BP meds and stayed normal if not. Having all this happen and coming home without any anticoagulant other than baby aspirin really has me concerned. So now I seem to be spending my days worrying over every symptom I have, which are ringing in my ears, head and neck aches, sweating, dizziness, and some left arm pain and heaviness. I just wish I had some definite answers.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am afrraid that I am not in a position to give you the definite answers that you would like. If you spent 7 days in the hospital, I will assume that you had extensive testing to look at your heart as the source of the emboli and also blood tests looking for abnormal clotting problems.

It is normal to assume that every symptom you experience is a result of the emboli. This happens to cancer survivors who go through a period of assuming that everything is due to the cancer. This will improve with time.

The good news is that plain old aspirin is just as good and effective as the more expensive prespcription Plavix ( clopidogrel) and Aggrenox ( dipyridamole). Likewise, low dose aspirin is just as good as the larger dose aspirin.

Stay in close contact with your doctor and work to manage all of your risk factors. Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.