Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Quick Question
An_247118 posted:
My father had what they thought was a "mini stroke" on Sunday night. On Monday he had complete use of both his arms and legs, and his speech was good. Tuesday he was to be released from the hospital after an MRI and a consultation with the Physical Therapist. Because of the layout of his house they decided not to let him go home, by Wednesday late after noon he was losing function in his left arm and his speech is slurred. Is it normal for him to be almost back to normal directly after TIA and then to exhibit a worsening in symptoms from this one attack? Or did he suffer another, more series TIA while in the hospital?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It was a good thingh they kept your father in the hospital and I hope that he is doing well. A TIA is a warming sign of a stroke and the risk of havinga stroke is definitely increased after having a TIA. The risk factors that caused the TIA still exist and can cause another TIA or stroke.

Did the give him tPA for his second attack or did it clear by itself? Hopefully his doctors were able to find the source of his TIAs or stroke and start appropriate treatment to prevent future episodes.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.