Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/stroke/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Includes Expert Content
    Stroke & Flying
    johnride posted:
    I had a stroke on June 27th and received TPA within one hour, I have regained 98% of my previous strength. My question--IS IT OK TO TAKE A 3-4 HOUR COMMERCIAL FLIGHT (on 25 August)

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    First, you need to check with your doctor since there are may several variables that fac tor into whether a person can fly after an illness. Generally, a patient who has had a stroke should not have any trouble flying 2 months after their stroke. Many patients are transported by air ambulance at earlier dates. However, an air ambulance can fly at a lower altitude and control the pressure in the cabin for a particular patient. On the other hand, the cabin pressure of commercial airplanes is tolerated by almost all individuals.

You will be taking a realtively long flight and you need to do exercises to prevent blood clots in your legs. Here is a link that has excellent suggestions for airline travelers.

Finally, never pack your pills in checked baggage and carry them on the plane with you. Have a good trip.

Good Luck

Enjoy your trip
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
    My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.