Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stroke & Flying
johnride posted:
I had a stroke on June 27th and received TPA within one hour, I have regained 98% of my previous strength. My question--IS IT OK TO TAKE A 3-4 HOUR COMMERCIAL FLIGHT (on 25 August)

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
First, you need to check with your doctor since there are may several variables that fac tor into whether a person can fly after an illness. Generally, a patient who has had a stroke should not have any trouble flying 2 months after their stroke. Many patients are transported by air ambulance at earlier dates. However, an air ambulance can fly at a lower altitude and control the pressure in the cabin for a particular patient. On the other hand, the cabin pressure of commercial airplanes is tolerated by almost all individuals.

You will be taking a realtively long flight and you need to do exercises to prevent blood clots in your legs. Here is a link that has excellent suggestions for airline travelers.

Finally, never pack your pills in checked baggage and carry them on the plane with you. Have a good trip.

Good Luck

Enjoy your trip
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.