Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stroke symptom
jeniwren68 posted:
I was at work the other day and was walking past the therapy room and I smelled burnt toast. I made the comment to a therapist I know and said 'You guys burnt the toast huh?' Her eyes got big and she said 'No, we didn't, do you smell burnt toast?' And I said yes. She dragged me in the therapy room and they got excited because one of the therapist said that she had just read a study that found some stroke victims had smelled burnt toast prior to having a stroke. They made me take my vitals ect. My vitals were good and I was not having any other symptoms. So I have not been able to find anything on that. Is it true that some stroke victims prior to their stroke have smelled burnt toast?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Not true at all. You can relax. However, it is not unusual to have distortions in both smell and taste after a stroke or brain injury. These usually improve over time. Are you having any other problems with taste or smell? Sometimes new medicines, particularly heart medicines can cause disturbances in taste.

There is a RARE situation where people have spontaneous unusual and unplesant smells. These are call "uncinate" spells and can be a form of epilepsy. I want to emphasize that this a rare situation . If your episodes continue then you should be evaluated by a neurologist, just to be sure you do not need to places on medications.

Let's hope you start to smell chocolate chip cookies baking in the gym.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

rikkymeirs responded:
Hi!)
Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor... But this article about stroke symptoms may help you anything:
Be healthful!)

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.