Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
23 and suffering
jodell1204 posted:
I am 24 years old and about a year ago I lost my peripheral vision in both eyes... it almost felt like tunnel vision. I am a smoker and was taking Chantix at the time. I went and had an MRI and it showed I had a stroke ... at 23 years old? now a year later I still have headaches occasionally but I was told to file suit against phyzer bc of the chantix. So I know how this feels and at my age there was no reason for me to have a stroke. The doctors all told me I was healthy and they could not see any reason other than the chantix that would cause a stroke . Needless to say I am back 100% but I lost work bc of it and now have medical bills bc I do not have insurance. I do think I deserve to be reimburst for pain and suffering loss of work and all my medical bills. This should never have happened to me at 23!!

barb1058 responded:
It is sad to say but more and more young people are having strokes. My daughter was 21 when she had hers. Hers was caused by a dissection of her carotid artery. Drs have no clue as what caused besides the fact that she was ill and had been vomiting. She was healthy, non-smoker, not on birth control and a college student. You are fortunate to be back at 100%. She is not but she has a great attitude and can do almost anything without the use of her right hand and foot.

itmatsb replied to barb1058's response:
I also had a carotid artery dissection stroke. Yes, you do see a lot people on these websites who have strokes in their 20s.

I wonder if your daughter had a lot of physical therapy on her right hand and leg? I did, but still can't use my right side very well, but I am able to type with difficulty and can walk with some difficulty.

Am wondering how bad your daughter's disability is? Only 5% of the total strokes are carotid artery dissections which happens most often in younger people. So I have very few examples of how people do who have had this kind of stroke.

My biggest disability however is 24/7 migraines caused by my stroke. The migraines have disabled me tremendously. Your daughter could have had a far worse outcome.

Sara

itmatsb responded:
My neurologist told me that the greatest causes of stroke were smoking and high blood pressure. With them being such a big company and the mixture of factors, you'll have to get an attorney to find out. With all medications there are risks unfortunately, but good luck trying to sue Phizer (sp?)Let us know.

itmatsb responded:
To: jodell1204
I just saw a later posting that is headed by "Stroke caused by Chantix". It seems that a lot of other people have had strokes which they think were caused by Chantix, so maybe you have more of a chance legally. Look at that posting.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.