Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stroke Recovery
seniorette posted:
11/09 I had a small tumor removed from the right side of my brain w/o any trouble, but had a stroke on the way to recovery. My left side doesn't function very well. Therapy thinks 'this is as good as it gets.' How do you deal with loving friends who want you to 'get well'?

itmatsb responded:
Thank them for their kindness, then tell them the truth of what the medical staff has told you. Also tell them that you are very fortunate that you are not paralyzed permanently and can speak which a lot of stroke survivors cannot. If that doesn't do it, tell them that you are also fortunate to not have had the stroke kill you.

If they continue to want you to "get well", ask them why they keep telling you that when you have told them the truth about your condition. If they are indeed loving friends, put it down to dementia.

seniorette replied to itmatsb's response:
thank you

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.