Skip to content
cholesterol & strokes
mrstreklady posted:
Just got home from the hospital today my LDL cholesterol was 193 very high , was put in the hospital because i had a second t.i.a due to increased lipids. what does increased lipids mean s & how to the have any thing to do with having a stroke?
the DR put me on plavix do this medcation have any side effects? if so what are they.

itmatsb responded:
First thing that the doctor should have told you is, "According to the National Stroke Association, up to 40 percent of people who have a TIA will also have a stroke. In many cases, the stroke happens within two days of the TIA."

Any idea of what a full stroke can do to you? It can cause lasting paralysis, lack of speech and death. If you want to know what the side effects of Plavix are, you can look it up on-line. Just search by the name of any medication and it will give you websites to find out.

Lipids are a kind of cholesterol that does increase your risk of a stroke. What about taking statins to lower your cholesterol? Statins do have potential serious side effects that you should be on the look out for, but remember what you are risking--a full stroke.

Feel free to ask the doctor any questions that you have when you are given information. Or make another appointment and get full information from the doctor.

Good luck from someone who did have a full major stroke with major permanent disabilities, but was told that had I not had such an excellent circulatory system that I would have been paralyzed and not able to speak.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Getting Support and TipsExpert
Many times the most valuable source of information is from other people who have had to "walk in your shoes." They have had to live with ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.