Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
stroke
bigojo posted:
Had my mini stroke july 25th. I am now still having lite headiness and my balance is still off. It seemed like I was really geting better and have hit a brick wall. Taste buds are still messed up also.

ahossler responded:
Had my mini July 24th and my taste buds mess up too. Nothing tastes good all at. Spicy foods are not spicy.

bigojo replied to ahossler's response:
Starting to taste a few things but not many. Don't feel like eating either.

JeffDaddy replied to bigojo's response:
I had a stroke 5 years ago and also lost my appetite. What I recall was that food tasted bland. I sort of used it to my advantage and lost 20 pounds. My sense of taste has returned and some of the weight.

With regard to hitting the recovery wall, I recommend keeping a diary of your symptoms. I felt that I was not recovering, but then realized I was improving when I read the earlier entries. Also, keeping a diary will help with the doctors. Part of the diary was a list of questions and problems. When I showed up at the neurologist, I just handed him the list. The list made the appointments more efficient, which the doctor appreciated as well.

bigojo replied to JeffDaddy's response:
Great Idea,thanks

suppt replied to JeffDaddy's response:
OMG! How long did it take t regain your taste and desire to eat? My Mom had a stroke in July and lost ALL desire to eat. We had to get a PEG tube.

JeffDaddy replied to suppt's response:
I think that's going to vary from person to person. What your mother is experiencing is different from me. I wanted to eat. I knew I had to eat. But when I did, there was no "excitement" in the taste. This lack of excitement for eating lasted about 6 months.

If your mother lacks all desire to eat - has depression or some other underlying reason for her not wanting to eat been discussed? I ask that because it seems to me that even when I didn't enjoy eating, I knew that I had to eat SOMETHING just to remain healthy, so I forced myself to eat. Vegetables were something I leaned toward because of the texture in my mouth.

Yes, way too optimistic. Can I ask your age? Probably 25 years less than Mom.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I addressed the issue of taste a bit ago. Here is the answer and links I gave to that person. I hope it helps.

This is a common question and not unusual after a brain injury or stroke. The first place to look is any new medications that may have been added since your stroke. A number of medicines can affect your taste. You can look them up on line and combinme the name of the drug with "loss of taste." and see if that might be the problem.

Changes in taste from a stroke usually improve over a few weeks to months. Some people complain of a metallic taste. Here is a link to an answer I gave a few days ago to another stroke survivor on WebMD.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/stroke-exchange/forum/756

http://forums.webmd.com/3/stroke-exchange/forum/226

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

JeffDaddy replied to suppt's response:
I was 46 when I had my stroke.

Remain optimistic, but listen to your mother's needs as well. I recall my wife insisting that I eat more - it was hard to explain to her that it wasn't her cooking when she was trying so hard to make me better.

With respect to the doctor's comments about medication - certainly that's an aspect that should be examined; however, in my case, I was immediately placed on aggrenox and loss of appetite was not a common side effect. My neurologist just said to be patient - even harder. I thought the food recommendations list he provided a link for is certainly something to look into as well. That said, never eating again looks pretty good compared to eating rhubarb.

Mom is 87. We will definitely get speech and swallow tests done every two weeks. I'm even more depressed now. It's definitely 1000% easier to recover from a stroke at 46! If fate determines that it has to happen, the younger the better.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.