Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stroke recovery
soliscinco posted:
I had a bi-lateral pontine stroke in october 2011. I was well on my way to recovery. Walking without assistance, exercising, hiking, swimming. About six months later, I started experiencing weakness in my legs. 3 months later and I cannot walk without a walker. The doctors have diagnosed as Wallarian Degeneration. Has anyone had a similar issue?
thanks,
Steve - Santa Rosa, CA

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear that you are having more problems following your stroke. Delayed deterioration is very rare following a stroke. I would look into the possibility that you have something else going on that could be causing weakness in your legs. Is it possible you have something pressing on your spinal cord, causing your legs to get weak? Arthritis in the neck can do this as can problems lower down in the spine. My point is that although your doctor maybe 100% correct, it is important to rule out other causes of the weakness. This may be a situation where a second opinion can be helpful. I am always happy when my patient's get a second opinion, particularly in a difficult situation. The worst/best that can happen is that we all learn something.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.