Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
    soliscinco posted:
    Has anyone used HBOT therapy for stroke? If so, what was outcome? I have substantial weakness in legs, mild weakness in arms and marked spacicity resulting from a Bi-lateral R>L pontine infarction causing damage to the L>R corticospinal tracts in October 2011

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been studied in depth for the treatment of stroke, brain injury and a variety of other neurologic disorders. In all cases there was no demonstrable benefit to HBO. You will find many testimonials and claims on the Internet and there are many physicians willing to promote HBO for stroke and make sensational claims. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have raised the question once again as whether HBO may help in Traumatic Brain Injury and government is funding a number of studies.

I tell families that there is no evidence that it works, but if they can afford it, want to try it and there are no medical contraindications, then they should go to the most reputable HBO centers for their therapy. They should understand that the evidence points against it working for stroke and brain injury.

I hate to be negative, but want to be realistic and keep people from spending money they may not have on therapies that have little, if any, chance of helping.

Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Form
    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.