Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stroke
dispatch09 posted:
So i found out through an MRI that I had a stoke on the left side of mt brain. I found this out because I went to the doctor complaining that my migraine headaches were getting worse. Well the MRI was done 5/31/12 and I saw my doctor in 8/12. I had a ischemic stroke with some loss to my brain tissue. I have since fallen down the stairs because I have become disoriented, and another time I was in a room in my home and did not know where I was. I also have had issues swallowing for the better part of the year. As far as I can remember I jhad no signs. I am going for an EEG, and have no idea what to expect. Any advice?? MY boyfriens says I worry too much, but in my line of work I need to find out whats going on, since my initial neurologist dropped the ball on me back in may.

itmatsb responded:
You certainly do need to know what's going on. Your doctor completely dropped the ball from what you're saying. You should find another neurologist who will offer you far more help. Are you taking anything like Coumadin? Do you know that your chances of having another eschemic stroke are about 25% within in the next 5 years, unless you had a carotid artery dissection, then the risk is far less. You need to take every precaution that may be necessary to avoid another one, such as blood thinners, cholesterol medication, etc. I too had swallowing problems after my stroke which just got worse and worse, so that 2.5 years later, I could hardly drink water. I went to a gastroenterologist who is supposed to be an expert about it. She put me through 2 endoscopies, the second one stretching my esophagus which was high risk. Then 3 years later, I found out on-line that some simple physical therapy exercises could help my swallowing. So just so that you know that there is far more help that you could get with any problems that you may
have.

Let me know if you have any other problems since your stroke, like physical weakness, continuing migraines, etc.
By the way, how old are you?

I wish you the best.
Sara

dispatch09 replied to itmatsb's response:
I just turned 46 on 9/21. I started having migraines after a car rear eneded me in 2006 while I was parked. My neck snapped, I had an MRI then but it was fine. I am really at my wits end because I often have bouts of unexplaine dizziness and lack of coordination. I haven'y been put on any blood thinners yet and I am seeing a new neurologist on thursday after my EEG on tuesday. My migraines often make it difficult for me to understand what people are saying, and mt doctor suspects that i could be having some sort of seizures. i know if the EEG is good, am going to request other test because i know something isn't right. I also feel at times horrific pains in my head that I never had before. I do wok out at the gym, and sometimes I feel like my legs are going to give out. I am pretty healthy, aside from this issue.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to itmatsb's response:
Hi Dispatch09 and welcome,

Please remember that advice from others should be taken as just that, only advice, and ultimately you need to seek the advice of an expert.

Members here, myself included, are not experts and can only share what works for us, and the knowledge we have.

I encourage you to talk to your doctor about this, share all your symptoms and concerns, as your doctor has your complete health history.

I hope you feel better and please keep us posted on what's going on and how your are moving forward from here.

Best of health and luck to you,

Chrissy
WebMD Community Staff

itmatsb replied to dispatch09's response:
That's great that you are seeing a new neurologist. You may not need blood thinners. I just think that you need to know what is going on and get any help that may be available to you. Being only 46 years is a positive sign for your recovery. I will be interested in what your new neurologist had to say about your problems including the migraines.

I mentioned the swallowing exercises because no other doctors that I saw about the problem had any idea about physical therapy. I believe that I learned about it on this very website. There is a swallowing test that the doctor may schedule you to get. Mine came out alright, but I still had the swallowing problems.

Good luck to you. I'll look forward to hearing more about you.

dispatch09 responded:
The information I have been receiving has been very helpful in asking the right questsions to neurologist. As for an update, he will not rule out a stroke or a seizure disorder at this point. However I found out I was born with an abornality called arteriovenous malformation. So at this point, there are more test to come. An MRI was schedule w/contrast but the contrast could not be done because the tech could not find a vein, and I walked away feeling like I was back to square one again. I am trying to stay postistive but it is difficult when you have stbacks and all you want is the answers to your questions.

It's good that you have been given more information. Yes, it must have been frustrating to not get the test. Are you scheduled for another one? Keep at the doctors to get answers to your questions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Take care.

As of yet I a not scheduled for another MRI w is/contrast. However I did get the results and I am more confused than eever. This MRI did not mention anything about a possiblity of a stroke. No where close. My pictures don't lie. Whether it is stroke or something else, it doesn't just disappear. I don't know what to do or what questions to ask. As far as the AVM, I don't know what grade it is either. In the meantime, the headaches and dizziness are becoming even more severe. I am at a loss for words.

What does the doctor say about your more recent MRI not showing a stroke when the one that you had initially did show a stroke from what I believe you said? Also what does the AVM have to do with any of your symptoms? What can be done to treat your headahces and dizziness? You need to ask the doctor for the answers.

And you need to get medical treatment for your intense headaches. There are many different treatments for migraines, including a daily preventative migraine medication and abortive pain pills which should not be taken more than 2x a week or you risk rebound headaches.

Again, get your answers from your doctor, then you will know better how to proceed. Good luck to you.

Well I finally had my MRI with contrast on monday. So as of yet I have not spoken with the neurologist. I will see him nest week on monday, and hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the situation. I will keep you posted as I get more information.

Haven't heard from you in awhile. Wondered if you got any better info. Are you getting any treatment for your headaches?
Wish you the best.

No not better. I have been having more intense headaches with dizziness , also with my asthma too. So indeed I did have a stroke last year and as recently as a week ago I was having severe asthma issues to where I had a hard time breathing with my heart was racing. I developed a severe headache with dizziness and blood rushing around my head. I felt like passing out. The neurologist stated that I may if had a mini stroke during that time cause I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I alo had another EEG yesterday. Now I am Los having severe leg cramps in the left leg. My stroke was a left brain stroke. Taking top max and some other drug that I don't think works very well.

I believe that you are probably taking Topamax which is a daily preventative migraine medication. If it hasn't helped you at all in over a month's time, then you need to try a different one. There a number of them. If none of the preventative meds work, then you would have a very good chance of Botox injections helping you. That's what helped me a lot. What other drug are you taking?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.