Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
stroke after attack.
Roshan posted:
Dear doctor

My father aged 69, suffered a major attack 16 days ago.he was around the hospital when it happened. an emergency angioplasty was done and we were told that he will be fine and discharged after around 3 days.
After a day however he was not keeping to well and they told us that both his kidneys have failed and we must expect the worst as dialysis cannot be done at the present blood pressure.
they were able to start dialysis in the following morning and started him on medication for the same too.
After 24 hours of dialysis he was looking good and we felt his situation is improving. doctors were now saying that his heart and kidney functions are returning to normal. He was looking good and was talking to us as well.

However that night he seemed to have got a stroke. Doctors checked him in the morning and told us that a blood clot has travelled to the brain and has caused this.
they confirmed the same with two CT scans one day after another. They also told us that his right side is affected and he cannot move his hand and leg.

They were now treating him for heart, kidney and stroke and told us that it will take around 3-6 months to improve from stroke.

Two days after stroke my father went into deep sleep. the neurologist says that due to the blood clot there has been a swelling to the brain and thats why he is sleepy. Today its 16 days since my father got the attack and he is still drowsy.

On day 4 & 14 after heart attack my father has serious trouble breathing. i wasnt there on day 4 but on day 14 i saw that he was struggling to breathe.it happened twice within a span of 30 minutes after which his blood pressure shot up to 175/??

Im worried about the way his recovery is moving. He is sick a day gets well then falls sick again due to some complication. especially the breathlessness attacks are worrisome as they are a kind of sign that something is wrong.

what would be the next step that we probably need to take as doctors are juat saying we have to wait.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I wish I had an easy answer for you, but sometimes things just seem to get more complicated. I alwasy say that "bad things happen quickly and good things happen slowly." Heart disease and stroke are closely related since they have the same risk factors. It is common for people to have both.

It would be inappropriate for me to give specific suggestions, but you can always ask for a second opinion. Most doctors are very happy to get the help of another colleague. If you feel you are not getting answers to all of your questions, write them, down and ask the doctor to hold a conference with your family to go over your questions. If you miss seeing his doctors on their rounds, you can call their office and ask " what is the best way to contact the doctor?"

Good luck and I hope your father starts improving in the near future.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Roshan replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Thank you doctor for your reply... in your years of experience how much time will it usually take for somebody to be out of this kind of sleep, if he is around the age of my father (69).

itmatsb replied to Roshan's response:
I doubt that there is any way for a doctor to answer your question. I can just tell you a story about my mother who had severe congestive heart failure and then had a hemmoraghic stroke. She was on oxygen, barely conscious, had to be fed and I was told that she had 4 days to live. After a week or two, really don''t remember for sure, she just kept getting better and better. Was eventually able to walk the halls, feed herself, talk, and got her full mind back. She lived for 2 years with small stroke after small stroke, but would always perk up again. I think her progress was due in part to the constant visiting from my sister and I and all of our love. As well as her boyfriend visiting her about once a week. She was 86 years old at the time.

There are no guarantees with your father's condition no matter how much love and visiting that you do. But anything can happen. You got a diagnosis of 3 to 6 months instead of being told 4 days to live as I was told. So do take care and I wish you the best.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.