Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TIA or not?
JimGeorge49 posted:
Hello,
A little about me, I am a 63 year old male, in very good shape and an avid cyclist who does many centuries or longer rides over all kinds of steep hills and flats. Been doing this kind of intensity for the past six years. Since my mid 20s, My diet has excluded dairy except the occasional egg and regular smaller fish consumption, with years of eating vegetables, nuts, and fruits, and soy products. I have a family history of atherosclerosis, my father died of an MI in his mid fifties and his two brothers have had three by passes between them. I had a stent in my late 40s, after experiencing chest pain, only such event before and since.

A couple of days ago on a routine 26 mile bike ride over a regular route that included two steep pitches (14% +), and some that were below that. I stopped twice on the 26 mile ride and at the first stop (mile 15) I felt a little dizzy and imbalanced.... after resting about 10 minutes I headed home and about mile 25 I stopped at an intersection and discovered I could not keep my right leg lifted without having the sensation of leaning to my right side. I also seemed to have a hard time from listing to the right while I had been riding, and there had been an ache in my right jaw. These were all new sensations to me. My riding buddy, a nurse, wanted me to go to the ER, though I convinced her that I would call my cardiologist the next day and would wait while she retrieved the car and drove me home. Everything since then as been fine though I have a persistent 'stuffiness' or low intensity headache in the front part of my head. I do have an appt tomorrow morning, Oct. 25, and expect to have an EKG. My research thus far makes me think I had a TIA. I would be interested in any suggestions about what to consider or ask for from my doc. I really would like to believe I can resume my cycling and at similar levels as in the past, though I am not interested in deliberately hurting myself. Would like to be around and enjoy my kids and possible grandkids for a long time.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.