Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

TIA Changed My Father
kaars posted:
My dad (age 61) had a TIA Sept 09' and recently had another one this past May. After the first stroke, there were obvious changes in his behavior and personality. Thankfully he wasn't paralyzed and he was fully able to go about his daily activities, but he just seemed different.

Over the years, it has just gotten harder and harder trying to cope with the reality that I'll probably never see or talk to my old dad again. Most of the time he's spacey, confused, antisocial, distant, irritable, apathetic, etc.

Overall, it's extremely difficult to be around him for a few reasons. The most obvious reason being that I feel like he's not the dad I once had. The second being (which I can only assume has direct relation to the stroke) is that he won't accept my boyfriend of 5 years. When he had the stroke my boyfriend and I were split up. So my dad saw me in a depressed state over him. I believe that my dad's negative attitude towards my boyfriend is due to his last recollection of him being an unfavorable one.The final reason is that he continues to neglect a proper diet and exercise. He has no concern about his high blood pressure/cholesterol or diabetes.

My family and I try to encourage better eating habits, but it doesn't work. He was laid off and is now at home all the time. Therefore, all he does is eat and watch tv. Not to mention that to this day he's still in denial that anything was wrong with him in the first place. He brushes off the TIAs as if they were nothing. I'm not sure if he even realizes how different he his.

My dad used to be outgoing, charismatic, social, funny and he has completely lost all of those qualities along with any interest in doing the things he used to do. I can't remember the last time he laughed genuinely without a tv being in the room. The only time a catch a glimpse of his old self is when he's upset with me. And as sick as it sounds, I soak up those moments.

It feels so hopeless and I just need to know if there's a possibility for recovery. Can a stroke victim regain their old personality? It seems permanent, but I need some hope.

Take the Poll

Can a stroke victim regain their old personality?
  • Yes
  • No
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.