Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TIA Changed My Father
kaars posted:
My dad (age 61) had a TIA Sept 09' and recently had another one this past May. After the first stroke, there were obvious changes in his behavior and personality. Thankfully he wasn't paralyzed and he was fully able to go about his daily activities, but he just seemed different.

Over the years, it has just gotten harder and harder trying to cope with the reality that I'll probably never see or talk to my old dad again. Most of the time he's spacey, confused, antisocial, distant, irritable, apathetic, etc.

Overall, it's extremely difficult to be around him for a few reasons. The most obvious reason being that I feel like he's not the dad I once had. The second being (which I can only assume has direct relation to the stroke) is that he won't accept my boyfriend of 5 years. When he had the stroke my boyfriend and I were split up. So my dad saw me in a depressed state over him. I believe that my dad's negative attitude towards my boyfriend is due to his last recollection of him being an unfavorable one.The final reason is that he continues to neglect a proper diet and exercise. He has no concern about his high blood pressure/cholesterol or diabetes.

My family and I try to encourage better eating habits, but it doesn't work. He was laid off and is now at home all the time. Therefore, all he does is eat and watch tv. Not to mention that to this day he's still in denial that anything was wrong with him in the first place. He brushes off the TIAs as if they were nothing. I'm not sure if he even realizes how different he his.

My dad used to be outgoing, charismatic, social, funny and he has completely lost all of those qualities along with any interest in doing the things he used to do. I can't remember the last time he laughed genuinely without a tv being in the room. The only time a catch a glimpse of his old self is when he's upset with me. And as sick as it sounds, I soak up those moments.

It feels so hopeless and I just need to know if there's a possibility for recovery. Can a stroke victim regain their old personality? It seems permanent, but I need some hope.

Take the Poll

Can a stroke victim regain their old personality?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.