Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stroke with Double vision
beckyf posted:
I just found out today that I have had a stroke. The nurse told me over the phone the results of my MRI which I had on Friday. She said it was a small stroke and said I should take 81 mg of aspirin a day. My symptom was double vision left and right. This started 3 weeks ago. I immediately went to my optometrist who sent me to my regular doctor who ordered the MRI. Now I have to wait until Dec. 4 to see a neurologist. Isn't this too long to wait? They are trying to get me in to see a Nero-Ophthalmologist also. I do not know the date of that appointment yet. I'm hoping it is sooner than Dec. 4. Should I press them to get me in sooner? What should I do?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It is difficult to give you specific advice based in what you have told us. However, there are a variety of causes of double vision. If you only have double vision, that can be caused by damage to one of the nerves that goes to the eye muscles- not a stroke. It is more common in people with diabetes and hypertension. Your MRI scan may show a small stroke, but the key is to determine if it is related to your double vision. It is possible that they have nothing to do with each other . In light of these "unknowns" I would try to get in to see a neurologist ASAP. If your doctor thinks that this was a recent stroke, then you need immediate attention. This is a time to be the squeaky wheel and get seen sooner.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

beckyf responded:
Thank you for your reply. I got to see a neurologist today. He disagrees with the radiologist who read my MRI and does not think I have had a stroke. However, he does not know why I have double vision. I actually saw two neurologists because my neurologist thought another neurologist needed to see my symptoms to make sure he was covering all the bases in determining what further tests I should have. I will be having another MRI, a CT scan and a MRV. I will also be seeing a Nero-ophthalmologist. I'm still taking the 81 mg of aspirin a day and am now wearing an eye patch to alleviate the strain in trying to see and focus as best as I can. I will alternate the eye patch as needed. I think I got good advice. The doctor thought the spot on the MRI was an old legion that had been there for some time. Thanks again for your quick reply. Are there any questions you think I should be asking my neurologist?

Richard C Senelick, MD replied to beckyf's response:
It sounds like you are in very good hands and sound advice. Keep us posted.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.