Skip to content
TIA/Stroke Symptom or the "New Normal"
CitizenR posted:
My dad suffered a stroke August. Fortunately, he's had no appreciable deficits. He has, however, had a lot of tingling in his right side. There doesn't appear to any rhyme or reason to when these episodes may occur or how long they may last. Also it could affect just his foot, or work it's way up to, most recently his cheek. He's not had any difficult speaking, headaches, or problems with his face. Usually if he takes an aspirin and lies down, it will subside. He's been placed on a blood pressure medicine, Lipitor, and Plavix with a low dose aspirin. His blood sugar is elevated but his doctor has stopped short of diagnosing him as a type II diabetic. He's gone as long as three weeks without an episode, or once, two in one day. Are these episodes TIAs or could this be a lingering effect of the stroke? A side effect of the medicines? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

itmatsb responded:
Since no one else has responded, not being a doctor my guess is that the tingling is not a TIA, but if it bothers him then he should see a neurologist to diagnose and possibly treat it. Good luck.

CitizenR replied to itmatsb's response:
Thank you for your response, itmatsb. He's seeing an neurologist but she's not figured out the cause. I agree with you, as frequent as the episodes are, I don't think they're TIAs (the neurologist has said that as well). Presently, she's leaning toward a form of seizure. We're awaiting the results of some additional tests, so hopefully we'll know something soon. Thanks, again.

itmatsb replied to CitizenR's response:
Thanks for responding. Hope that the neurologist can figure it out.

Watarimono responded:
Sounds as though it's possibly seizure mediated. I'm not physician of course, but I have read a number of case studies showing the glial cell action post-stroke, in addition to the initial trauma can cause permanent or temporary epilepsy-like symptoms.

Best of luck to your father. After a stroke, the last thing a person needs is a constant symptom resembling one. Too much anxiety.

CitizenR replied to Watarimono's response:
Thank you for your reply, Watarimono. Personally, I think it's either a form of nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy, maybe?) or a form of seizure. The most frustrating thing is, by far, not knowing. I know both my parents would feel a lot better having an idea of what it is. I've noticed, however, these episodes seem to have almost taken on a pattern. While they are still somewhat random, its as if they are about 3 days or so apart. Initially, they were very short in duration, lasting at most an hour. Now, they have been as long as three hours.

Thank you again for your reply and your kind words.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.