Skip to content
How to gain weight lost from stroke
An_249757 posted:
My spouse had a stroke about 3 years ago and has lost 60 lbs. He does not have much of an appetite and eats very little. He does not like many of the foods he use to eat. He is about 6'1" and 155 lbs. I give him the Boost shake adding ice cream, and he eats a small amount of food for lunch and dinner. He likes milk and milk products but does not like many vegetables, fruits or sweets. I have spoken to many doctors and he has had tests which turn out normal. How can I stimulate his appetite?

mom0551 responded:
my grandson is on adhd meds and his doctor prescribed cyproheptadine because he has little appetite because of the meds. it seems to be working ok. I was hoping this might help your spouse. he is taking 2 mg. twice a day. God bless you and I hope this might be an option for you. I hate prescription meds but he was losing weight rapidly and I had to find something to help him.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.