Skip to content
How to gain weight lost from stroke
An_249757 posted:
My spouse had a stroke about 3 years ago and has lost 60 lbs. He does not have much of an appetite and eats very little. He does not like many of the foods he use to eat. He is about 6'1" and 155 lbs. I give him the Boost shake adding ice cream, and he eats a small amount of food for lunch and dinner. He likes milk and milk products but does not like many vegetables, fruits or sweets. I have spoken to many doctors and he has had tests which turn out normal. How can I stimulate his appetite?
itmatsb responded:
Have you tried a nutritionist or dietitian to help your husband? I also lost about 50 lbs within a short time after my stroke. I had hanging skin on me! If your husband likes milk products, does he like ice cream? Ice cream continues to save me. My doctor told me that she didn't care what I ate--just keep having the ice cream every night and to not lose any more weight.

After 2 years of being below a normal BMI which the doctor said was very unhealthy, I'm now at the low end of a normal BMI. I can't stand to eat most foods, except dairy and sweets. When I got depressed because of my daily pain and not being able to do much, my biggest complaint to my doctor was that every day I had to get up and eat something. If anyone else has any ideas for both of us, please write in.

Helpful Tips

I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.