Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My dad had a massive stroke left side
marisolv626 posted:
My dad first stroke was right side 5 years ago.then recently 0n 12/04/12 he had a massive stroke 1/4 of back side of his brain.He cant speak or move his right side he only moves left side of his body.he just staires at me then start moving his eyes side to side. he has a feeding tube because he cant eat or drink .on his left face he squeeze in his eye and it looks like hes in pain.its been 1 month 1/2 no improvments he use to lift his arm but not anymore he tries hes to week.what does mean?does reconize me?I'll tell him to squeeze my hand and he dosent is their a way to talk to him to make him understand? help i need answers

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear about your father's stroke. It is important to communicate and talk with your father as if he can understand. When we are trying to establish whether a person has any level of awareness, we first need to understand what they "would" we capable of doing, We wouldn't ask them to squeeze our hand , if the their hand was very weak. TRy speaking very slowly and asking him to to respond by blinking his eyes or moving them. Opening his mouth a bit may work. Wait at least 10 seconds before trying again because there can be a long delay in the ability of the brain to process information.

Has a speech pathologist tried to work with him?

I am afraid I cannot be much more help over the Internet since so depends on an individual's age, the amount of brain that is damaged and what medicines he is receiving.

I know it is very distressing, but continue to treat him as if he knows and hears you. Make sure everyone else does the same.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

marisolv626 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
thank you Richard C Senelick, MD that gives me hope to understand more why he cant understand it just takes time. And the speech pathologist havent yet work with him because he was in icu from having Pneumonia but know he been cured from that. And some days he opens his eyes and other days he dosent. But ill contine talking to him like you said. One more thing can people get out of this in months or years back to their normal lives?Do they die from this or he in a conditiond to recover? I hope he recovers i miss my dad the way he was i just miss him so much!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.