Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared and need answers, but can't find them
2cor520 posted:
This past Tuesday I was at a meeting at work. All of a sudden, I became extremely dizzy and couldn't shake it. Trying to remain calm and not draw attention to myself, I got up thinking I would take a walk to the restroom and shake it off. I found it very difficult to keep my balance and just walked along wall. Still unable to shake it, I walked to my desk to get some fruit thinking eating something would help, which it didn't. One of my coworkers noticed that I wasn't walking right and so I explained I was dizzy and just needed to go home. They arranged for a family member to come and take me to the doctor or hospital since it was obvious I couldn't drive. My daughter took me to our local small town hospital, they did an ekg and blood work which all looked good. The doctor said I had vertigo, by this time I am also vomiting. They gave me meds including valium and sent me home. I didn't think anything other than vertigo until I got up the next morning feeling much better until I got out of the bed and realized that my right side felt very heavy. It was not paralyzed at all...but just a very heavy feeling. I did still have some dizziness but no more nausea. I realized I would not be going to work and so laid back down in bed. A little later while watching tv, I realized the righ side of my face was numb. I could feel it, but it felt very different than the left side of my face. Worrying now what is happening, I tried to call my dr who didn't have any openings for me to come in. I called an urgent care and talked to a nurse who said to come right in. The doctor there did an exam and arranged for me to get a CT scan and said he thinks I may have had a stroke. I did went and had the scan and then went home. A couple of hours later the doctor said that the scan did not show any bleeding or masses. I then said to him, "then it is not a stroke?" and he said possibly, but to follow up with my PCP within a week. Called for my PCP and the first available appointment is in 12 days. The next day, I wake up feeling every better than the day before...a little dizzy still and a little heavy on the right side feeling more like weakness now, so I went to work...and on Friday even felt better. So, today, I am much better, still feel a little "weird" but nothing that is stopping me from doing what I normally do. But I did get a notice in the mail that now has me scared. It was a diagnosis from the CT scan approval that does state a stroke. So...still thinking it couldn't be that because I had always felt my symptoms were not typical...I went online and my symptoms are exactly that of a stroke in the cerebellum area of the brain! Now I'm panicking that I may have actually had a stroke and I can't get into see my doctor to even ask for more testing even if there is a test that can now answer this question? Should I be on some kind of medication to prevent a stronger stroke? And to panic is probably the worst thing I could be doing! Any assurance, help, suggestions, advice, anyone has to offer, please I welcome anything. Thank you.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.