Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is the risk of sleep apnea causing another stroke?
itmatsb posted:
My question is, how much of a risk am I to have another stroke with obstructive and central brain sleep apnea without wearing a CPAP mask since I have medical problems with it, described below.

I read your piece about secondary prevention of stroke as well as talking to my neurologist about my risk of having another stroke. With neither source where did I hear what I have since learned that most stroke survivers have sleep apnea. And that those who have had a stroke have a greater chance of having another stroke from sleep apnea with a greater chance of mortality and poor rehabilitation.

I had no sleep apnea before my stroke having a sleep study which even included a scope down my esophagus all night. But since my stroke I have not only obstructive, but central brain sleep apnea. I'm having difficulty wearing my CPAP mask due to severe bruising on my skull after a Prolia injection has caused this problem long after the side effects should have gone away. My endocrinologist spent a long time trying to learn when the side effects would go away and came up with nothing. And both the neurologists giving me nerve block, trigger point and Botox injections to treat my 24/7 migraines think that I should not wear the mask for 1 to 2 weeks respectively after the injections so that the liquid is not squeezed out. So now I just got a special mouth piece ordered which I have not yet obtained to try and it doesn't control the central brain sleep apnea.

So how worried should I be?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.