Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hiccup after Stroke
An_250041 posted:
My dad had a stroke on November 16, 2012. He was ok still we took him to Vellore, India for a thorough checkup. He just came back from there on 19th of this month. He was ok but suddenly he started to have hiccups from yesterday again. He had this right after his stroke for few days, then it was gone. But from yesterday he's having this,even when he is sleeping. Please suggest us what to do.

italiangirl responded:
Unfortunately I'm in your same position..infact I wrote here some times ago.My father had in june an ischemic stroke in the area of the middle cerebral artery. 10 days after it a persistent hiccup started. He did a chest ct scan and a gastroscopy and there is nothing relevant on them. This hiccup often starts after meals, with an eructation, and sometimes he stops 1 or 2 hours after he falls asleep. Normally it lasts from 2 to 4/8 days. Doctors suggested us baclofen, promazine, omeprazole and domperidone.
And now the doctor here suggested me to gave him: valproid acid or gabapentin. Does my situation is similar to yours?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.