Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Almost 3 months after stroke, and very little improvement. what can i expect?
southernyankee posted:
My husband had a massive right brain cerebral stroke which has effected his paralysis on the left side, and is now in the rehab unit at a nursing home after being home for one month from the hospital rehab for 21 days. He was still unable to get himself from a laying down position to a sitting position on his own; but was able to sit with his right arm holding his body from falling back or over as long as he was leaning on his right arm without any assistance. He was feeding himself, and was looking to the left side both with his eyes, and turning his head.He has been a diabetic for several yrs.and had a stint put in 12 plus yrs.ago and then again in 2011 the same stint was needing the artery opened up.
He had been on atenelol up until the quad ripple heart bypass in Nov.2012, and had just started cholesterol medicine. He's been on insulin and pills but has stayed very active for his age, which is 74 almost 75, and still worked up until the heart surgery last yr. as a interior/exterior painter for up to 40 yrs.on and off. He quit smoking when he had the first stint put in and does not drink. He stays outside 99% of the time because we have a little farm, and that has always been his passion as he was raised on 80 acres of farmland as a boy.
There are many questions I have, but here is what I have been wondering; his dislocated shoulder, which I've been told is "commom" among stroke patients; in which if that is the case, why is there not a preventive measure put in place, is there anything that can be done to get this healed up?
Another thing is that he sometimes sees things that are not there. I've read that sometimes dimentia may occur in some stroke patients. Is hallucinations also common with right brain stroke patients?
One more thing is that he has just recently had a skin tear in the careless process of transfering him from a hoyerlift to his bed at the rehab unit at this nursing home he is in. Today we noticed that his left hand and fingers and left foot is swollen. The wound looked a little white and pussy looking and also had swelling around it. We got the nurses attention on it and she doctored it again. Could the swelling in the foot and hand be caused from the wound? I was there yesterday, and did not notice his hand being swollen and had spent quite a while with him and went to the dining room and watched him eat so I would have seen this. I am concerned, but don't know what to do if I should do anything. He is all I got, and want to do the best for him so he can get better.
He also has had a hernia in the left groin for years, and get's very enlarged. He says it get's like that when he has not been able to have his bowels move. Can dr's. operate on this so he is not in alot of pain from this? He has complained about it hurting him.
Thank-you for your response on my questions. I am going to do the best I can for him with Hospice when he comes home. We just celebrated 18 yrs. of marriage and want him to enjoy however long we have left together. How long do people go on like this? I've ready to endure however long, just was wondering.
thank you

pagex responded:
I can attest to the part about seeing things that aren't there. My surgeon put me on Ambien about 2 months after right side temporal hemorrhage I had and if I take it but haven't yet fallen asleep yet I'll start seeing stuff that isn't there. And also on throughout the next day after having taken it the night before. So you may want to take a look at the medications he's on... specifically any type of sleep medications.

You can read more about my right side cerebral hemorrhage on this page which sounds like what your husband had.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/stroke-exchange/forum/826

itmatsb responded:
I think that you should ask for an appointment with his doctor and ask your questions about his shoulder, swollen hands and feet, his hernia, etc. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.