Skip to content
Prolonged hazy feeling after cerebral hemorrhage in right temporal area
pagex posted:
I'm 36 years old and on 9-15-2012 I was rushed into emergency brain surgery from a massive large scale hemorrhage in my right temporal area.

Earlier that day I was at an estate sale on my knees sorting thru vinyl records. I then stood up to walk out the door to drive home. But when I stood up I suddenly felt dizzy and had a funny taste / smell sensation come over me. It was like someone was burning rubber in my mouth. I made it to my car and while I was driving home (about a 5 mile drive) I started feeling the worst headache of my life. I made it home but when I got there I suddenly lost my balance which was causing me to stumble and fall all over my house only to have my fall broken by me bashing head first into every wall as I kept getting back up and falling again. This happened about 10 times around my house, including falling down my first flight of stairs head first into a retaining wall. I simply couldn't keep my balance. I finally managed to stumble into my bed to lay down around 12pm thinking I was just tired and needed a nap. What I didn't know is that was I was having a massive cerebral brain hemorrhage.

My brother found me 6 hours later. And when he found me unresponsive passed out on my bed he called my mom over. I vaguely remember my mother standing by my bed saying "I think he's had a stroke". She and my step-dad didn't wait around for an ambulance at that point. They put me in the car and drove straight to the ER.

I woke up the next day in the ICU with 65 staples in my head after having a craniotomy to drain the massive bleed and to remove a 4 inch blood clot. My first question in the ICU to the surgeon when I awoke was... "Can I ski this year?"

Fast forward exactly 2.5 months from the day of the bleed... I stepped back onto my downhill skis and clocked in at a downhill speed of 62 mph. So all things considered I walked away from something that should have left me dead or left me with with a major lifelong disability.

I'm a software developer and film editor and was back working 4 weeks after the day of the stroke.

I do suffer from a mild visual field loss in my upper left field of vision. Which isn't so much of a problem. I've adjusted to the visual loss mostly. But I still have my fingers crossed they the vision thing will resolve itself. I know it's wishful thinking but I wholeheartedly believe it will resolve itself.

Which brings me to my main question. I wake up everyday with a hazy feeling and it lasts all day long. The neurologist I'm seeing put me on dextroamphetamine which does help a little. But the hazy feeling I've had since the hemorrhage is getting annoying to put it simply.

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had the same prolonged hazy groggy feeling after a hemorrhage and I'm wondering if it's ever cleared up.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.