Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stroke
lfarrell posted:
I have a question for anyone who would care to answer. On December 10, 2012 my mother had a stroke it was six days before her 65th birthday. She was rushed by my father to the local ER and had really good care she was then transferred to a major hospital about one hour away and saw a neurologist. He discharged her December 15th. At first he stated that he wanted to see her back in two weeks. After she got home his office called and stated he wanted to see her on Jan. 26th. The office called once again today and said the dr would not be in the office on Tuesday and they would have to rescheduled till June. This does not make sense to me. She is getting no follow up care. I will be calling the dr office tomorrow but I was wondering how long after a stroke is the typical recheck.

susiebelle responded:

Could be a good idea to consider finding another neurologist. I assume your Mother did not need any sort of therapy ie speech, physical or occupational therapy . If so that is very good. My experience has indicated Doctors usually want you to get on medication to help avoid strokes in future.

itmatsb responded:
You didn't provide any detail about the nature of your mother's stroke, any medical precautions being taken or if she has any disabilities. Absent that information, you definitely need to find another doctor immediately. Nothing would have changed after the doctor discharged her to warrant him not having an appointment with her, Is he just too busy or avoiding something? Does your mother have any disabilities that may need rehabilation? And you need to make sure that all precautions are being taken to prevent another stroke from occuring. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.